Varicose veins are a common vascular issue that affects millions of people, causing discomfort, pain, and aesthetic concerns.
Fortunately, advancements in medical technology have provided several effective treatments for varicose veins. Two popular methods for treating varicose veins are Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT) and traditional surgical procedures. If you are in a dilemma about which one to choose, consult a top-rated laser surgeon in Kolkata, Dr. Purnendu Bhowmik, to get the necessary insights.
Endovenous Laser Treatment (EVLT)
Endovenous Laser Treatment, or EVLT, is a minimally invasive procedure designed to treat varicose veins by using laser energy. Here are some key aspects of EVLT:
Minimally Invasive Approach:
- EVLT is a minimally invasive procedure that avoids the need for extensive surgical incisions.
- A small incision is made, and a thin laser fiber is inserted into the affected vein. This fiber emits laser energy, which seals the vein from the inside.
- According to an experienced laser surgeon in Kolkata, EVLT has demonstrated high success rates in treating varicose veins by closing off malfunctioning veins.
- It significantly improves blood flow and reduces varicose vein symptoms.
- One of the advantages of EVLT is its relatively short recovery time compared to traditional surgery.
- Most patients can resume their normal activities within a day or two, with minimal scarring and discomfort.
Traditional surgical procedures, such as vein ligation and stripping, have been utilized for many years to treat varicose veins. Here are some key aspects of traditional surgery:
- Traditional surgery is more invasive compared to EVLT, involving the physical removal of the affected veins.
- It typically requires larger incisions and more extensive surgical procedures.
- Traditional surgery has a well-established track record of effectively treating varicose veins by physically removing them from the body.
- While effective, it may result in more post-operative scarring.
- The recovery period for traditional surgery is usually longer compared to EVLT.
- Patients may need several weeks to return to their regular activities, and discomfort during the healing process may be more pronounced.
A Comparative Analysis
It’s important to note that the choice between EVLT and traditional surgery for varicose vein treatment depends on individual factors, including the characteristics of the varicose veins and the patient’s specific needs. A laser surgeon in Kolkata can give you effective insights regarding these procedures. While EVLT offers several advantages, traditional surgery may still be recommended in cases where varicose veins are extensive or have specific characteristics that make them better suited for surgical removal.