Laparoscopy: Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, the best laparoscopic gallbladder surgeon in Kolkata, says that laparoscopy is a minimally invasive surgery used to determine the cancer stage or remove tissue samples for testing. This surgery inserts a thin tube with a light and a camera attached inside the abdomen, through small incisions made for the purpose.
Biopsy: Biopsies are essential when choosing a treatment plan. During a biopsy, a doctor removes a tissue sample to look at under a microscope. It helps determine not only the presence of most types of cancer but also the cancer stages.
Gallbladder Cancer Treatment depends on several factors –
- Cancer stage
- Treatment side effects
- Overall health of the person with GBC
- Success rate of curing the disease, extending life, or relieving symptoms.
Gall bladder Removal Surgery is the best treatment for Gallbladder and is broadly categorized into potentially curative surgery and palliative surgery.
- Potentially Curative Surgery – It means there is a chance that Gallbladder Cancer is treatable by surgery. However, only a tiny percentage of gallbladder cancers are resectable upon their diagnosis.
Surgery for resectable cancer includes:
- Simple cholecystectomy – The operation removes only the gallbladder. Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, the best gallstone surgeon in Kolkata, says that the procedure is usually performed for other reasons, such as gallstones. Suppose gallbladder cancer is known to be present or suspected. In that case, an extensive operation is usually prescribed rather than a simple cholecystectomy.
- Extended cholecystectomy – A doctor will prescribe an extended surgery in most cases of GBC. The extent of the surgery depends on the location and spread of cancer. The surgery usually removes the gallbladder, about an inch or maybe more of liver tissue adjoining the gallbladder along with all of the lymph nodes in the region. A surgeon may also remove any other part or area where cancer might have spread if they feel that it would be beneficial.
2. Palliative Surgery – This procedure aims to relieve Gall Bladder Cancer symptoms in cases where the cancer is too widespread.