Hiatal Hernia Doctor in Kolkata
TypesAccording to Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, the best hernia Surgeon in Kolkata, the different types of hernia are:
- Type I: It is also called the sliding hernia and is the most common type of hiatal hernia (95%). The gastroesophageal junction, in people with a sliding hernia, moves above the diaphragm. The stomach stays in its original position while the fundus (the upper part of the stomach next to cardia) remains just below the gastroesophageal junction.
- Type II: This hiatal hernia is characterized by a part of the fundus protruding from the hiatus while the gastroesophageal junction remains in its usual position.
- Type III: This is a combination of the first and second types, with the gastroesophageal junction and the fundus sticking out through the hiatus.
- Type IV: Type IV hiatal hernia is characterized by herniation of the stomach along with the spleen, colon, small bowel, and pancreas through the esophageal hiatus. This type of hernia is relatively rare, representing only about 5%–7% of all hernias. It can lead to severe complications.
SymptomsMost of the small hernias do not show any sign of their presence. However, the large hernias can be associated with the following symptoms, says Clinica Health’s best hernia doctor in Kolkata.
- Chest pain
- Severe chest pain
- Obstruction of oesophagus
- Difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia)
Risk Factors of Hiatal Hernia
- Age 50 or older
- Women have a higher chance of developing hiatal hernia
Hernia DiagnosisTests to diagnose hiatal hernia include –
- Barium swallow – A person will be provided with a liquid to drink that shows up on an X-ray. The drink allows the doctor to get a better look at the oesophagus and stomach.
- Endoscopy – A doctor inserts a long, thin tube with a camera attached, called an endoscope, down the throat to see the insides of the oesophagus and stomach.
- Oesophageal manometry – A doctor inserts a tube down a person’s throat to check the pressure in the oesophagus while they swallow.
- pH test – The test aims to measure the acid levels in a person’s oesophagus.
- Bleeding and anaemia
- Reduced blood flow to the stomach
- Severe GERD
- Difficulty swallowing
- Barrett’s oesophagus (oesophageal damage due to acid reflux)
- Oesophageal Cancer
- Lung problems or pneumonia
Hernia Treatment optionsHernia treatment in Kolkata depends on its type. Most people don’t experience symptoms of a hiatal hernia and hence don’t require treatment. If a person suffers from acid reflux, a doctor may prescribe the following medications –
- Antacids to reduce stomach acid
- Proton pump inhibitors or H-2 receptor blockers to reduce the production of acid in the stomach
- Prokinetics to make the oesophageal muscle that keeps stomach acid from backing up into the oesophagus stronger. They also facilitate the working of oesophageal muscles and help the stomach to empty itself.
- Limit fatty foods
- Stop smoking
- Eat small meals
- Avoid junk food and alcohol
- Avoid exercising immediately after eating
- Elevate the head of your bed
- Sit up after you eat
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes
What our patients say
He is a master laparoscopic surgeon with gifted hands. We had never believed that my grandpa of 83 years could ever be a candidate of surgery,that too, of laparoscopic surgery for hernia!..
My sister was suffering from ventral hernia. Dr. Bhowmik was our first choice after a lot of research. We found him very popular among his patients and he indeed deserve that. The laparoscopic repair went hasselfree…
His skill in laparoscopic surgery was proven when he did my mother’s hernia surgery without any complication. Many other surgeons did refuse to do the surgery laparoscopically…
Mon to Sat: 8 am – 5 pm, Sunday: CLOSED
Make an Appointment
It’s so fast