What is anal fissure?
An anal fissure, a minor tear or crack in the thin, moist tissue (mucosa) lining the anus, causes excruciating pain and some bleeding during and after bowel movements, says the best fissure doctor in Kolkata.
What is the cause of anal fissure?
- It typically occurs when passing large or hard stools.
- Chronic constipation or frequent diarrhoea can also tear the skin around your anus
- Straining during childbirth or bowel movements
- Overly tight or spastic anal sphincter muscles
- Inflammatory bowel disease, anal cancer, HIV, TB etc.
What are the symptoms of anal fissure?
Patients with an anal fissure may have one or more of these symptoms:
- a clearly visible tear in the skin around your anus
- sharp pain in the anal area while passing stool
- burning or itching in the anal area
- streaks of blood while passing stool
- a small lump of skin or skin tag, next to the tear
What is the treatment for anal fissure?
The treatment options for anal fissure is medical and surgical. In medical treatment laxatives, ointments and Sitz bath is given however the relief obtained is only temporary and pain and bleeding returns again after a while.
What are the surgical treatment options for anal fissure in Kolkata?
The surgical options are
- Open fissure surgery (sphincterotomy)
- laser fissure surgery (sphincterolysis)
What is laser fissure surgery for anal fissure?
In laser sphincterolysis the tight anal sphincter muscle is released with a laser energy source and provides immediate relief of symptoms. It is the most latest and advanced method of treating anal fissure.
How long does the procedure take?
Laser sphincterolysis takes only 10-15 mins
What are the benefits of laser over open surgery in fissure?
- No cut, stitches or big wound
- Painless, bloodless procedure
- Less than 24 hours of hospital stay
- No complication such as incontinence
- Quick recovery and return to normal life (within 24 hours)
- No dressing required
- Extremely cost-effective
Will my procedure be covered by insurance?
Yes, we cover all insurance and mediclaim.