An inguinal hernia is a medical condition in which a part of any organ, like the intestine, forces its way and protrudes through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles. The resulting bulge can cause pain, especially when a person coughs, bends over or lifts a heavy object.
“Surgery is the standard treatment option for inguinal hernia”, says Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, a hernia specialist doctor in Kolkata. There are two types of surgery to cure hernia – open hernia repair and laparoscopic hernia repair. Among these two, laparoscopic hernia surgery is preferred by surgeons and patients alike.
What Happens Before the Procedure?
Before the surgery, the patient –
- Undergoes urine, blood and imaging tests.
- Must avoid consuming food or drinks for 8 hours before the procedure.
- Must consult the doctor before taking any regular medications.
- Must inform the doctor if they are allergic to any substance or pregnant.
What Happens During the Procedure?
According to Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, the best hernia surgeon in Kolkata, laparoscopic hernia surgery involves the following steps –
- First, an anesthesiologist injects the anaesthesia and monitors the patient’s vital functions.
- The surgeon then makes three incisions in the lower abdomen (in the inguinal region.)
- Carbon dioxide is used to fill and inflate the abdomen to help the surgeons see better.
- The surgeon inserts a laparoscope – a tube with a camera attached – through one of the incisions and uses the other incisions for inserting the surgical tools.
- Guided by the images relayed by the laparoscope, the surgeon pushes the protruding tissue back in its place and checks for other weak spots.
- In case of strangulated hernia, the surgeon cuts and removes the hernial sac and stitches the area.
- The surgeon attaches a mesh in the weak area to prevent a recurrence.
- The incision is then closed with sutures.
- After the procedure completes, the patient is brought out of anaesthesia, given pain medication, and monitored in the recovery room until their vital functions stabilize.
How Long Does it Take to Recover?
After laparoscopic hernia surgery in Kolkata, most patients can go home the same day or a day after the procedure. People can generally resume their normal activities within two weeks of the surgery but must avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activities until after four weeks of recovery.
If you have been diagnosed with a hernia, it is best to seek treatment as soon as possible. Consult Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, a hernia specialist in Kolkata. He has years of experience in treating inguinal hernia patients.