The term ‘Anal Fissure’ refers to a small cut or tear in the skin that surrounds the anus. The condition occurs when large or hard stool is passed during bowel movement. The illness is not severe or dangerous and can be easily cured with medicine or laser therapy.
When patients have a chronic fissure, they may opt for laser sphincterotomy or LASER treatment. During the procedure, the physician creates an incision with a laser. This assists in relaxing the tense anal sphincter muscles, which aids in the healing of the fissure.
In this blog, Dr. Purnendu Bhowmik, a proctologist in Kolkata, explains everything you need to know about laser fissure surgery.
How to Prepare?
If a patient is required to undergo Laser Sphincterotomy or fissure laser treatment, the following procedures are performed first.
- Rectal examination to determine the location of the fissure (at the time of diagnosis).
- Before the procedure, the patient should fast.
- The patient should avoid drinking water for six hours before the operation.
- Bowel preparation is performed. This is to cleanse the system of any remaining excreta and involves administering a laxative or an enema.
On the Day of Treatment
Laser fissure surgery in Kolkata is the most modern and safest procedure available. The following is a summary of the surgery:
- Surgeons insert a laser into the natural orifice or opening of the patients’ anus. Then they move it to the fissure’s position.
- A laser incision is made in the anal muscles, thereby relaxing the sphincter muscles.
- Additionally, the fissure scar heals, resolving the patient’s condition.
According to Dr. Purnendu Bhowmik, the best fissure doctor in Kolkata, laser surgery is the most successful treatment since it decreases the likelihood of fissure reopening.
To guarantee a safe and successful recovery after laser fissure surgery in Kolkata, patients must bear the following in mind and adhere to them.
- Doctors prescribe stool softeners that patients should utilize according to their instructions.
- After surgery, patients must change to a high-fiber diet.
- Adult patients must keep their anal area free of irritation. In the case of children, the parents or caregivers should change the diapers periodically.
- After the procedure, patients can resume their normal activities quickly, as hospitalization is not required.
Advantage of Laser Treatment
- Minimally invasive
- Same-day discharge
- Minimal post-surgical pain
- Quick recovery time
- Less blood loss