Endovenous laser therapy or EVLT is a procedure that involves the use of laser energy to cauterise (burn) and close varicose veins.
Dr Purnendu Bhowmik, a varicose vein specialist doctor in Kolkata, prescribes EVLT to help alleviate pain, swelling, and irritation. Ablation is a safe procedure that is less invasive than surgery and leaves almost no scars.
Here is everything you need to know about the EVLT procedure.
How Should You Prepare?
Inform your physician of all medications you are taking, including herbal supplements. List any allergies, particularly to local anaesthetics, general anaesthesia, or contrast agents.
Before your procedure, your varicose vein surgeon in Kolkata may advise you to discontinue taking aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or blood thinners.
Make arrangements for someone who will be able to take you home.
This procedure does not require an overnight stay in a hospital. It may be performed in the clinic of your healthcare provider. Typically, the procedure takes less than an hour. You should be able to go home the same day. Bring loose-fitting clothing to change into immediately following your surgery.
Varicose vein laser surgery in Kolkata is generally performed as follows:
- You’ll need to wear a hospital gown and sit on an examination table. Throughout the procedure, the table may be tilted in various positions. You may be given special eyeglasses to wear during the surgery. This is to shield your eyes from the laser light.
- Your healthcare provider will numb the area where the tube or catheter will be inserted. Additionally, your healthcare provider will administer a shot or injection of numbing medication down the length of the vein being treated.
- Before and during the procedure, your healthcare provider will check the vein with a Doppler ultrasound device. This procedure makes an image of the vein on a computer screen using sound waves.
- Your healthcare provider will insert the catheter through a small cut or incision in your skin. It will be inserted into the varicose vein via a guidewire. The catheter will be fitted with laser fibre. As your healthcare provider withdraws the catheter gradually, the laser will heat the length of the vein. The vein will eventually close and shrink.
- The cut made by the catheter is likely to be small enough that you will not require stitches. Your healthcare provider will apply a bandage to the area.
If you are suffering from varicose veins, EVLT is the best varicose veins treatment in Kolkata.
Visit https://www.clinicahealth.in/contact/ to book an appointment with Dr Purnendu Bhowmik.